4.3 Hot Keyboard Layout tool
Hot Keyboard Layout tool helps you to name non-standard keys specific to
your keyboard (e.g. "iTouch" key on Logitech keyboards). You can start
Hot Keyboard Layout tool from the options
dialog by clicking on the "Launch Hot Keyboard Layout utility" button.
How to use layout tool?
So, you have a keyboard with additional keys and you want Hot Keyboard
to display them correctly in the hotkey input fields. Please note the
- Hot Keyboard cannot handle additional keys if you have your keyboard
driver installed. Unfortunately, since Hot Keyboard is not
a device driver, it cannot intercept low-level keyboard messages
if another driver does so.
- It is recommended that you connect your keyboard to the PS/2 plughole
instead of USB if possible.
First of all, check if there is already a layout file for your keyboard
model shipped with Hot Keyboard. You can look for it in the "C:\Program
files\Hot Keyboard Pro\Keyboards" folder (if you have installed Hot Keyboard
in the default folder on drive C:). If there is no such a file,
start the tool (see above) and take the following steps:
- Enter the name of your keyboard manufacturer and model number in
the corresponding field (e.g. "Logitech Internet Navigator SE").
- Set input focus to the field "2. Set input focus here" (you can
do this simply by pressing the "Tab" key after you've entered the
name of keyboard).
- Press one of the extended keys on your keyboard. Its code should
appear in the field below. If the key you've pressed is already
known to Hot Keyboard, its name appears in the combo box located at the bottom. In this case you do not have to add this key to the list since Hot Keyboard already knows it.
- Otherwise name the key as it is listed on your keyboard and
press the "5..." button to add it to the list.
- Repeat steps 3 - 4 for each additional key you have.
- Save the list to a file, copy it to the clipboard and close
- Open the page
http://www.hot-keyboard.com/support/contact.htm and send the
key names you have to the Hot Keyboard's developers. This will
help us to support different keyboards.
- In the Hot Keyboard options
dialog, press the "Choose Keyboard Layout" button and select
the file you have just created.
- You are able not only to name additional keys, but rename the
standard keys if you want.